Monday 2 September 2013

7 Things My Parents Taught Me

Growing up like any other child I was taught a lot of things, some were taught forcibly and some I picked up consciously and unconsciously. A lot of these things are a part of who I am today. These lessons shaped me, made be better, made me wiser and may be miser but I am grateful to each and everything that they taught me. So many lessons from so many chapters of my childhood, each different but each paved a new way for me. I have tried to summarize a few that I think are the most important things my parents have taught me.

1) Independence: Since as long as I can remember, I remember being independent. I don’t remember anyone telling us to be independent, we were independent. Even during my early childhood I remember doing all my chores on my own. There were times when I hated doing it but for some reason I never thought there was anyone else who would do it for me. And not only physical or financial independence, my parents taught me to be emotionally free. To not be dependent on anyone for any kind of support even in my toughest days. I will confess that I am not as independent emotionally as I was earlier; I tend to depend a lot on my better half but that is only because I can.

2) Hard work: There was never a short cut for hard work for me growing up. Any short cuts were noticed and we were made to do things again. So I learned hard work and I soon enough realised I was the type who needed hard work.  However I do think now that hard work has to be clubbed with smart work but every time I take a short cut even now I could sense my mom looking at me with a not so happy look.

3) Fun: We were a house full of non sense. In our daily life there was so much fun and drama that we never needed television. There were numerous hours of fun and games. No restrictions and no forced timetable.

4) Accountability: We were accountable for our own actions. I remember my mother checking my bag and asking me to do the homework but that’s about it. I do not remember her running after me for anything. We were responsible for our things. I do remember a lot of times not doing the homework  and then getting wacked in school but that taught me to be accountable for my own actions.

5) Speak your mind: Three of us [Me, My bro and My sis] were always asked to speak freely, ask questions. Questions were our best friend. We were never scared to speak our mind in front of anyone. This continues even now, I wear my heart on my sleeves and I am not scared to speak my mind. It does back fire sometimes but I can’t mince my words and I don’t see the need also.

6) Listen: As much as speaking your mind is important, it is also important to hear others. There are times when you do have to shut up and let others speak. I have a very patient ear and the credit goes to my parents. We were encouraged to debate a lot and one of the traits of a good debate is to listen to the other point of view; with an open ear and mind.

7) Budgeting: Like every child we also had pocket money; till we grew up.But along with that we were also exposed to prices of different things. I knew the price of everything I wanted and I would save and purchase. It not only gave me immense thrill and pleasure; it also taught me financing and value of money.

These are a few important things that my parents taught me and I hope I am able to pass them on to my children. What are the things that you were taught? Which one affected you most?


31 comments:

  1. I think the second and seventh was definitely part of the things my parents tried to pass on to me. They succeeded to the most part I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sfurti the things you learnt in childhood are now paying you rewards. I find in you a spirit of dedication, self confidence and above all great determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usha Ji thank you so much. I am really touched by your wonderful words :)

      Delete
  3. Sfurti,the things that your parents taught have instilled qualities like self confidence,a spirit of determination and strong will power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2, 4, 6, and 7 I learnt from my parents. Independence was less because of Dad being away for work. I never spoke my mind, because I didn't want to hurt my Mom who was handling us all alone. Fun was definitely in with a little sister to play, fight, share secrets with. Nice read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your experience Rekha :)

      Delete
  5. Nice post, reminding all readers of the childhood lessons our parents taught us. I can relate to all the lessons that were taught to you :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hats off to parents, they make the childrens' lives so lovingly special and meaningful with their teachings. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Number 2 definitely from my parents. Lesson in number 7 still continues. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naina lol even I still struggle with it :)

      Delete
  8. Independence is the one i rated no1 for me too. Without complete trust on me i can never called myself as an independent girl :) Budgeting ofcourse i have learnt gradually because i am staying alone, its been 10 years now :)

    --Jasmeet
    http://emotestar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Points 2 3 6 and 7 were taught to me by my parents. All parents are the best intentions for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. seven or seventy...whatever i'm today has been only for the strong base of qualities and things inculcated by my parents into me :)

    you can check out my post here:-
    Karan - Grand Mother

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun!! For sure, we had a lot of fun, being a large joint family and my parents being travel bugs! And, we too were given a lot of independence! I truly treasure that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roshni How nice..a joint family. Must have been a lot of fun!!

      Delete
  12. Nice one, you know how much i can relate to it !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And we teach these to our children. Only we miss to realize the values at the right time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is great to acknowledge with gratitude, the unique guidance we got from the parents!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Independence is one I always seek and bestowed lavishly by my parents. Hats off to parents who teach us so many things through simple gestures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your parents will be proud of what they could pass on to you. Loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madhu awww thanks so much. I hope they are :)

      Delete

Leave Your Mark