Wednesday 4 September 2013

7 Things That My Job Taught Me

I worked as a consumer researcher for 8 years before retiring 2 years back. These 8 years taught me a lot of things. I will shamelessly confess that they liberated me and my thought process a lot; may be more because I had never seen any other female work in my family before. I learned a lot from my job and from my professional life.  Following are my eight years encapsulated in few points:

1) Planning: I am a big big planner. I plan everything in advance and mostly this trait comes in handy even in my daily life [There are times when it harasses people around me also] . The credit for imbibing this in me goes to my profession. As a researcher there are atleast 1000 things at any point of time on your plate and you have to juggle all of them. There is a strict time schedule, so if you don’t plan, you can’t finish in time. I will always be thankful to research for all the excel sheets I have at home dedicated to planning different activities.

2) Punctuality: I was always punctual though I never paid too much importance to it. But soon after I started working I realised ; a lot of people’s schedule would depend on my schedule and hence it became a very important that I am on time and vice versa. I still follow it personally [Though my other half is not very happy with this trait J ]

3) Streamlining my thought process: I tend to get vague even now. I have a free mind and it keeps wondering and going off track quite a lot. But when you are working for others; you can’t afford that; so I learned to concentrate better. My mind still wanders a lot and I can somewhat afford to do it now however my concentration and focus is much better as compared to before.

4) Microsoft: I was scared of computers and its programs. Only thing I knew well was to play games. Now I am an expert in excel and power point, you name it, I know it. Even now I use them extensively and I am thankful to my job for it. [I was and I am still wary of MS Word. I just don’t get it]

5) Delegation: I was and I am a keen worker. You can even call me a labourer. I like working and I would rather work myself than spend time explaining others to do it. But again I learnt we cannot do everything on our own, delegating was an important part of my job and it is helping me even now. Else I would have ended up doing everything on my own.

6) Analytics: Analysis is a very important part of being a consumer researcher. It sharpened my analytical bent of mind and I still tend to analyse things more than others.

7) Negotiation skills: Again a very important part of my job and now I am not ashamed to say that I look at every price with a doubt and question it.This saves a lot of chillar for me 

These were a few things that my job taught me. What about you? Where do you work? What did you learn from your job?


26 comments:

  1. beautiful...its such a nice way that you have put up all that probably all of us learn from our jobs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to know about your skills Sfurti. Our work places can teach us a lot of things. Currently I work along with my husband and take care of our family business. From my previous jobs I've learned to be punctual and organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diana. Working with your husband..I envy you!!!

      Delete
  3. That was such a nice informative post, loved the way you not only listed down the skills but also mentioned as to how they have helped you along the way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful learning. I still struggle with delegating tasks to others and often end up doing everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rajlakshmi. Me too I still struggle with them :)

      Delete
  5. These are all useful lessons and will stand you in good stead always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shail I agree. These are the ones that affected..rather changed me the most :)

      Delete
  6. Reading this I guess you are a hard working and an organised women. The negotiation skill is something I think I lack and should learn from ladies like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uma thanks so much.And do give negotiations a try..you would be surprised how easy it is :)

      Delete
  7. These are valuable lessons on the job floor. As a media person, I learned so much bout journalism on the job and not quite different from your take:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the learnings can always be used anywhere in life. Nice post Sfurti. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're quite right about work culture being very useful in imbibing certain traits! I definitely value punctuality and planning! I also have learned the spirit of collaboration and being a team player. For someone like me who's an introvert and likes to do things herself, that was very important to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roshni thanks. These are some things I learnt and I still practice though I am not working professionally now. And yesss I also learnt team spirit.

      Delete
  10. Some lessons I learned from my work space too. But Streamlining my thought process... yet to achieve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yesss though I am better than before but I am still a lost soul :)

      Delete
  11. The skills you mentioned I am still learning form my job..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Professional life open up new vistas and broaden one's horizons. Delegating work is not easy but necessary and negotiations skills come handy in day0to-day life too. nice read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kalapana, completely agree. Thanks so much :)

      Delete

Leave Your Mark